3 Ways that Smart Thermostats Reduce Operational Expenditures
4 minute read
As smart thermostats are the leading device in smart apartment technology, there is a lot of buzz around them. Besides adding a sleek touch to your smart apartment, how can they decrease operational expenditures?
Let’s start with…what exactly does a smart thermostat do?
Smart thermostats can…
- Sense and regulate temperature, motion, and humidity to maximize comfort and energy efficiency.
- Enable the Resident (for their in-unit thermostat) or Property Manager (for vacant units, amenity areas, and common areas) to control thermostats with a phone, tablet, or other internet-connected device.
- Regulate temperatures automatically based on Resident’s proximity to the unit. The geofencing feature automatically regulates temperature based on the Resident’s location (by utilizing the smart phone’s location). Leaving the virtual perimeter of the unit triggers the smart thermostat to adjust to a more energy efficient temperature when the Resident is away and changes to the Resident’s set optimal temperature once the Resident nears the unit.
How can smart thermostats not only reduce operational expenditures but also generate revenue?
- Keep amenity areas, common areas, and vacant units at the optimal temperature to maintain optimal temperatures to accommodate Resident use. With smart energy technology, a Property Manager could easily maintain the ideal temperature of these areas without physically adjusting each thermostat.
- As smart apartment technology continues to become more popular, offer technology as an amenity to residents.
- Generate revenue in the future by reducing peak electricity demand with demand response programs. STRATIS is conducting groundbreaking research in this area through NREL’s grant. Installing smart and connected devices now is the only way to understand and enable energy efficiency and revenue generation at scale.
To promote energy efficiency through smart thermostats, STRATIS currently integrates with various smart thermostats to best suit your property’s needs and budget.
Want to learn about how this could upgrade your property? Schedule a demo today.
STRATIS enables smart apartments and intelligent buildings and is the only platform of its kind built for the complexities of multifamily and student housing. Since launch, STRATIS has installed in 325,000 apartments across the U.S. and more than 18,000 internationally. STRATIS is an Inc. 5000 “Fastest Growing Company in America” and an Entrepreneur 360 “Best Company in America.” To get more information visit: STRATISIoT.com.